This caprese appetizer made with grilled eggplant, zucchini, and Frantoia Italian Olive Oil will be a crowd pleaser every time. Add fresh basil and pasta sauce on top and you are ready to enjoy with family and friends.
Prep Time: 25 minutes - Cook Time: 15 minutes - Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6-8 Servings
- 1 large Eggplant
- 1 large Zucchini
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 3 oz fresh Mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Pasta Sauce
- 10 large basil leaves, chiffonaded
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees.
- Leaving the skin on both, cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch thick slices and cut the zucchini in half crosswise. Cut each half of the zucchini into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Lay the eggplant and zucchini slices on a baking sheet. Brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to grill and grill until the vegetables are tender, but not overcooked, about 4 minutes per side for the eggplant and 3 minutes per side for the zucchini.
- In the last 30 seconds of cooking, divide the mozzarella evenly and top the eggplant rounds. Re-close the barbecue lid and cook for additional 30 seconds, or until the mozzarella is melted onto the eggplant.
- Lay one eggplant round on a large platter. Top with 1 tsp pasta sauce. Next, add a pinch of basil, then add a slice of zucchini.
- Continue stacking in this order, ending with an eggplant round and pasta sauce. Spoon any remaining pasta sauce on top of the assembly.
- Serve immediately.