Classic Shrimp Cocktail and Gin Martinis
Shrimp Ingredients: (Serves 4)
24 large, 21-25 count deveined shrimp (keep tail intact)
2 lemons, I juiced and 1 cut into wedges
1 small onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 stalk celery cut into large pieces
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon peppercorns
Several sprigs of Italian parsley
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Homemade Cocktail Sauce Ingredients:
3/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
Classic Gin Martini (Serves 1)
3 oz. gin (chilled in the freezer)
1/2 oz. dry vermouth (chilled in the refrigerator
Garnish: 3 pimento-stuffed olives or lemon twist
Shrimp Cocktail Directions:
1. Combine lemon wedges, lemon juice, onion, garlic, celery, and bay leaves in a large pot filled 3/4 full with
water. Bring the water to a boil and add the salt, sugar, and peppercorns. Once the water comes to a rolling
boil, remove the pot from heat. Add the shrimp to the hot water and cover with a lid. Let the shrimp cook in
the hot water for 5-8 minutes until shrimp are pink and opaque.
2. While the shrimp are poaching, fill a large bowl with ice and water. Once shrimp are cooked, remove from
the hot water by straining in a colander; discard the remaining contents. Plunge the shrimp into the ice and
water and let them chill completely. Drain and serve immediately, or chill in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours.
3. While the shrimp are chilling, make the cocktail sauce by combining the cocktail sauce ingredients in a
small bowl or wide-mouthed glass.
4. Serve the shrimp in glasses for individual servings, or on a large platter for serving a small group. Garnish
with fresh lemon wedges and sprigs of parsley leaves.
Classic Gin Martini Directions:
1. Place martini glasses in the freezer to chill.
2. Meanwhile, combine gin and vermouth in a mixing glass full of ice. Stir for 30 seconds.
3. Strain into a chilled martini or coupe glass and garnish with olives or a lemon twist. Enjoy immediately!