Winter Pear Galette
Warm, spicy pears are our winter season indulgence, and we couldn’t be happier about it! In this recipe, we
share our simple go-to pastry crust that comes together quickly for this impressive dessert. The warm cinnamon-y pears and flaky crust topped with cold, vanilla bean ice cream completes any occasion in sweet style.
3 Asian pears, cored and cut into thin 1/8" slices using a mandolin
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup honey (for drizzling)
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks),
grated and well chilled
4-6 tablespoons ice water
1 egg, whisked for egg wash
1 tablespoon coarse sugar
Vanilla Ice cream
Sprinkle of cinnamon
1/4 cup slivered almonds, optional
1/3 cup honey for drizzling, optional
Directions: (The crust may be mixed by hand or with a food processor. )
1. For the crust, mix the flour, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl
with a whisk until evenly distributed.
2. Prepare the ice water by filling a small bowl with ice cubes and adding water.
3. Place the grated butter in the flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter and flour mixture together
until a coarse texture is reached with some pea-sized pieces of butter remaining.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of the ice water by sprinkling on top of the flour/butter mixture. With a fork, gently toss
the mixture. Continue adding ice water one tablespoon at a time tossing after each addition until a rough ball of
dough forms. (Avoid adding too much water.)
5. Flatten the dough ball into a disk about a one-inch thick, and wrap in plastic wrap.
6. Chill the wrapped dough disk for an hour or overnight.
7. On a pastry slab or a cutting board, divide the dough into two even balls. Place the first half of the dough
directly on a sheet of parchment paper and roll into a rough square, about 1/8-inch-thick. Create a straight edge
by folding 1” of the dough onto itself around the perimeter. Chill for 15 minutes. While the first half is chilling,
prepare the second half of dough into a square, as well, chill.
8. Preheat the oven to 425° F.
9. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a large bowl, mix the pear slices with the brown sugar, vanilla, lemon peel,
lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Toss until evenly coated.
10. Assemble the galettes. Group pear slices together, and carefully arrange overlapping the slices.
11. Distribute the butter pieces evenly on the pears and use a pastry brush to brush the crust with the lightly
beaten egg. Sprinkle the coarse sugar on top of the crust.
12. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the crust lightly browns. Serve with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkling of
cinnamon while still slightly warm.