Try this warming and delicate seafood preparation garnished with captivating crispy shallots. This recipe will
provide all the tips for mastering, with ease, a beautiful, flavor-packed dish you’ll enjoy making time and time
again with a variety of different fish.
1 lb cod fillets
1/3 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
3 large shallots, sliced into rings, divided
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons sherry
2 tablespoons fresh fennel, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a 9" x 13" baking dish, marinate the cod in fresh lime juice for 20-30 minutes flipping halfway through the
2. While the cod marinates, prepare the sautéed shallots. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a 3-1/2 qt braiser
over low heat. Add half of sliced the shallots. Sauté the shallots for about 15 minutes, or until the have lightly
caramelized. Stir occasionally until the shallots turn translucent and begin to turn a golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the crispy shallot garnish. Add the vegetable oil to a skillet or saucepan and heat over
medium-high heat. Once hot, add the remaining shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes until just browned and
crispy. Remove the crispy shallots from the heat and rest on a paper towel-lined plate. Lightly salt. Reserve
the crispy shallots for garnish.
4. In the braiser, add the the garlic and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the sautéed shallots and
heat for about 1 minute. Deglaze the garlic and shallots with the sherry, heating for one minute, then add the
vegetable stock, Herbes de Provence, and fennel. Bring the ingredients to a boil, then reduce the heat and
simmer until the flavors become friendly, about 5 minutes.
5. Add the marinated cod, sprinkle with the salt and pepper, then cover. Continue to cook on low and poach
the cod until the cod is opaque and cooked through, roughly 8-10 minutes.
6. Serve the cod with a spoonful of the braising liquid and a sprinkle of crispy shallots. Enjoy immediately.