This homemade custard makes the perfect dessert or snack. With tangy berries and a touch of Marsala wine, this a refreshing treat anytime of the day.
Prep Time: 35 minutes - Cook Time: 15 minutes - Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 cup Fresh Berries, diced small
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 large Egg Yolks
- 2 Tbsp Marsala Wine
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup Coconut
- 1 cup Flax Seeds
- Arrange the berries into individual glasses or one larger serving bowl. Set aside.
- In a chilled bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a medium size, heat proof bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, marsala, and sugar until well blended.
- Create a double boiler by setting the bowl over a sauce pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl never comes in contact with the water (you will cook the mixture with the steam).
- Continue whisking the mixture until it becomes glossy, pale, light, and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and fold into the whipped cream.
- Spoon the custard on top of the prepared berries and chill for 2-3 hours or until you are ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, toast the coconut and flax seeds together until the coconut starts to turn golden in color and the flax seeds start to sweat. Add the Strawberry Balsamic, stir to coat, and remove from the heat.
- Immediately before serving, garnish the custard with the crunchy topping and an extra berry or two for color.