This savory tart is a great appetizer, breakfast or brunch, or main dish.
Sweet caramelized onions, tangy melty fontina cheese, buttery flaky pie crust, and sweet tangy balsamic make the perfectly balanced dish. Impress guests with this simple dish packed full of flavor. Pair with prosciutto or salami, fresh seasonal fruit, and your favorite wine.
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- In a 12” skillet over medium-low heat add 2 Tbsp olive oil, once hot add the onions. Cook stirring occasionally until onions caramelize and are sweet, about 45-50 minutes, taking care that onions do not burn.
- On a sheet of parchment paper roll out dough into a circle that is about ¼” thick.
- Sprinkle dipper and cheese over pie dough leaving about 1” border then spread out onions over cheese.
- Gently begin to crimp or pleat the dough around the onions so it forms a little crust.
- Move tart to a baking sheet and drizzle with remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 30-35 minutes.
- Finish with Sweet Basil Balsamic Vinegar. Enjoy!