Easy Chicken Tikka Masala
Serves 4 - 6
Bring the wonderful flavors of this delicious dish home any day of the week thanks to the amazingly fast
electric pressure cooker! This recipe calls for a lighter approach using slightly less butter than other recipes.
A combination of Greek yogurt and coconut milk (instead of heavy whipping cream) adds a bit of extra
tanginess to the global flavors. Savory spices mingle with fresh garlic, ginger, and tomatoes. The coconut milk
creates a dreamy, silky sauce. Serve with fragrant basmati rice and generous sprinkles of chopped cilantro.
4 large boneless chicken breasts,
cut into 1” chunks
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
1-1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely grated
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
2-1/2 teaspoons Garam Masala, divided
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
4 tablespoons butter, sliced into tablespoons
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced,
plus additional for garnish
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons shallot, minced
2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
3-1/2 cups water
1. Rinse rice with cold water until the water runs clear.
2. Using a heavy-bottomed pot with a lid, sauté the
shallot in the butter until the the shallot becomes
translucent. Add the rice, and stir it until coated and
every grain has a sheen.
3. Add the water and salt, and bring to a boil. Stir
occasionally to make sure that the rice doesn't stick
to the bottom. Once boiling, turn the heat to low and
cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer the rice on low for
18-20 minutes or until the rice becomes tender.
4. Remove from heat, and let set for 10 minutes with
the lid still on. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Electric Pressure Cooker Directions:
1. Prepare the garlic and ginger. Mince the garlic finely and grate the ginger into a fine paste.
2. Place the cut chicken in the bottom of an electric pressure cooker and then toss with the garlic and ginger.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes until well combined.
4. Add the spices to the tomato mixture: 2 teaspoons Garam Masala, cumin, paprika, cayenne, coriander,
Kosher salt, and black pepper. Stir until well combined.
5. Pour the spiced tomato mixture over the chicken. Toss until coated.
6. Cover, and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
7. Carefully release the pressure according to your appliance’s instructions. Check that the chicken is fully
cooked and is at 165 degrees F. If the chicken needs more time, continue to cook on the simmer function
until the chicken reaches 165 degrees in the center.
8. Once the chicken is fully cooked, add the coconut milk, yogurt, butter, 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala and
minced cilantro. Stir until combined and a sauce begins to form. If the sauce needs additional time to thicken,
switch to the simmer function, and stir and simmer until the sauce thickens to your desired consistency.
9. Serve warm over basmati rice. Garnish with additional minced cilantro.