A medley of hearty, winter root vegetables are roasted to perfection in this colorful bowl packed with healthy nutrients -- all without sacrificing flavor! Paired with chewy, nutty farro, and drizzled with a warm, walnut vinaigrette, this bowl makes for a powerful meal that’s perfect for kickstarting the New Year!
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup uncooked farro
1 fennel bulb, stalks removed
1/4 red cabbage
4-5 rainbow carrots
10 fingerling potatoes
3 golden beets
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 stalks celery
1 sweet red apple
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup unsalted almonds
Walnut Vinaigrette Ingredients:
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bring the vegetable stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the farro, stir, and boil for 5 minutes, stirring often so that the farro does not stick to the pan. Cover and reduce the heat to low, and simmer. Continue to stir frequently until the farro is tender and the stock has been absorbed, roughly 60 minutes. Remove the farro from heat, drain any excess liquid, and let stand, covered, until ready to serve.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables for roasting. Slice the fennel and red cabbage into thin wedges. Peel and slice the carrots and parsnip on the bias. Slice the turnip. Halve the potatoes. Peel and cube the beets.
3. Spread the prepped vegetables on a rimmed sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and bake for 40 minutes, tossing halfway through until vegetables have been have been cooked to tenderness and have begun to brown.
4. While the vegetables and farro are cooking, Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a wide- mouthed jar. Set aside.
5. Wash and dice the celery, and core and cube the apple. Toss the apple, celery, cranberries, almonds, and half of the dressing in with the farro. Top the farro with the roasted vegetables, and drizzle with the remaining dressing.
6. Garnish with flat leaf parsley, and add additional salt and pepper to taste.