Sweet Potato and Cardamom Doughnut Holes
Makes about 30 doughnut holes
Did someone say fresh, warm, doughnut holes? These lovely morsels feature warm, autumn spices including
allspice, cinnamon, and cardamom. And, since they are made with sweet potatoes, they’re almost healthy,
right? We love making these bite-sized treats at home because we can enjoy them by the handful and not
feel guilty in front of anyone. Now you can too!
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
3/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons chilled butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sweet potato, cooked and pureed
(roughly 1 small sweet potato)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups canola oil for frying
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
1/3 cup granulated sugar (or powdered sugar)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, allspice, cardamom, and salt. Whisk the ingredients together until evenly incorporated. Cut the butter into the flour until it resembles a crumb-like mixture.
2. Add the buttermilk, mashed sweet potato, and vanilla, Fold the dough together until all the ingredients are
combined. The dough will be sticky to the touch.
3. Scoop out pieces of the dough and roll them into balls roughly 1-1/2" in diameter. Set aside.
4. in a separate, shallow dish, stir together the cinnamon and sugar. Set aside.
5. Add the oil to a medium-sized saucepan and warm the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 350°F
Drop the doughnut holes in about 6 at a time.
6. Fry the doughnut holes, very carefully, for about 3-4 minutes, occasionally turning them in the oil to ensure
all sides are getting cooked and browning evenly.
7. Use a slotted spoon, skimmer, or spider to transfer the doughnut holes to a paper towel-lined plate. After
cooling the doughnuts for about 30 seconds, roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mix until they are fully
covered. Enjoy immediately!