Classic Sloppy Joes
Makes 4 - 6 sandwiches
A classic loose meat sandwich, also known as a “Sloppy Joe,” is an easy answer to “what’s for dinner?”
These sandwiches come together easily with just a handful of ingredients. Plus, it’s a great recipe for including kids in the kitchen. Served on a buttered and toasted buns, these sweet and tangy sandwiches
simmered in a zingy tomato sauce always hit the spot! Make it a meal with a side of chips and our favorite
super easy onion dip!
1 pound ground beef
1/2 large sweet onion, minced (about 1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
6 oz tomato paste
1 -to 1-1/4 cup cold water
6 buttered and toasted hamburger buns
Super Easy Onion Dip:
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
2-3 tablespoons half & half
1-2 tablespoons minced onion, (more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
In a small food processor, blend together the dip
ingredients. Add the half and half a few tablespoons at a time until you reach your desired
dipping consistency. Adjust the dip by adding
more onion and black pepper according to your
taste. Serve with your favorite style of potato
chips or fresh veggies!
1. Prepare the onion and garlic by cutting into a fine mince.
2. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Chop and stir into small pieces and cook until well browned.
Drain the ground beef in a paper towel-lined bowl.
3. Add the onion and garlic to the pan, and sauté until the onions have softened. Add the cooked ground
beef back to the pan and stir until combined.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the sauce. Add the brown sugar, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce,
pepper, and tomato paste and stir to combine.
5. Add the sauce to the meat mixture and stir until combined.
6. Add 1 cup of water to the mixture and simmer on low for 15 minutes or until the meat captures the sauce’s
flavors. Stir the mixture occasionally as it simmers, and add additional water, as needed.
7. Butter the buns and arrange closely together on a large sheet pan. Broil until the buns are toasted to a
golden brown. (Watch closely!)
8. Serve on a toasted and buttered bun with your favorite toppings.