Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake with Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 12 pieces
Biting into this cake signifies all of the things we love about the changing seasons. Warm notes of fall spices
pleasantly mix with sweet chocolate and rich brown butter frosting. This recipe highlights pumpkin in a cake
that can be served both after dinner or alongside your morning coffee.
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup vegetable oil
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1-1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
Brown Butter Frosting Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a stand mixer on medium-low speed, mix the eggs, white sugar, brown sugar, oil and pumpkin puree
until incorporated. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg,
ginger, clove, allspice, and salt.
3. Slowly add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and continue to mix until combined. Fold in the
4. Pour the batter into a 10” x 10” ungreased baking dish. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes
out clean. If the top or edges brown before the rest of the cake has baked, tent aluminum foil over the top.
Cool on a cooling rack.
5. Make the frosting: Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring often,
until the butter turns a light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the butter! Remove from
heat and let the butter cool. In a stand mixer, mix together the cream cheese and the browned butter until
fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix. Gradually add the confectioners’, sugar continuing to mix until smooth.
6. Once the cake has completely cooled, generously spread the frosting over the top of the cake in a thick
layer. Dust with cinnamon and enjoy!